Patient Services Representative
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to promote a high level of customer service and a caring environment for patients; always acting in the best interest of the patient. Responsible to assist patients in scheduling and registering for appointments, to receive and document accurate information from patients, answer incoming phone calls, record concise phone messages, direct calls to appropriate personnel, request medical records, and to conduct NHC business with the highest degree of ethics.
- Greet and direct patients in a friendly and timely manner.
- Prepare and maintain patient records according to NHC policy.
- Answer, screen and direct incoming telephone calls appropriately.
- Relay messages and schedule appointments promptly and accurately.
- Accurately register and update current patient information in the Electronic Health Record systems.
- Assist patients with program enrollment information and providing required paperwork.
- Collect co-pays from patients according to NHC policy. Receive payments and give receipt to patient.
- File records and documents, such as dictation, labs, x-rays, H & P’s and referrals accurately and in a timely manner.
- Communicate with clinic staff to assure efficient patient flow.
- Demonstrate respect and understanding of confidentiality for patients, staff and others according to facility policy. Responsible for disclosure of health information as requested from various sources in accordance with the established HIPAA policies.
- Assist nurse in preparing exam rooms and restocking supplies as needed.
- Assist with updating policies, procedures and forms.
- Train other team members on job functions and information management system applications as necessary.
- Assist other NHC team members when needed and as time permits.
- Participate in NHC staff meetings and other scheduled meetings as instructed.
- Adhere to the mission and values of Northland Health Centers.
- Will participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition and transformation activities.
- May be asked to perform other duties that align with NHC’s mission, including but not limited to participation on clinical committees, providing education, Quality Review and/or other activities.
- Skill in providing excellent customer service and support; organizing and prioritizing workload and meeting deadlines; and excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively with managers, co-workers, members of the public and professional groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, concisely with others (internal and external customers, both verbally and in writing), consistently demonstrate positive/proactive customer service attitude. Consistently maintains ethical behaviors exemplary of quality public service and fair standards, inclusively, among all employees and members of the public.
- Ability to work as an effective team member; function independently, exercise sound judgment and initiative; be flexible to shift priorities; maintain confidentiality; establish and maintain effective interpersonal work relationships, effectively assist providers; work toward goals and objectives of draft priorities.
- Ability to follow NHC Clinic practice guidelines – including adhering to the NHC immunization policy and the NHC Mission and Vision and NHC Corporate Compliance Policy.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback including evaluation of provider’s productivity and practice attributes.
- May be asked to perform other duties that align with NHC’s mission, including but not limited to participation on clinical committees, Quality Review and/or other activities.
- Ability to perform each position responsibility satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to understand that safety is a condition of employment. Unsafe acts or conditions will be reported to the supervisor or Site Coordinator.
- Must be computer literate with ability to enter information in the NHC EHS system and compile reports or data as requested.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
Education and/or Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent, REQUIRED;
• Healthcare Experience, PREFERRED
License and / or Certification:
• Current CPR certification required
• Valid North Dakota Driver’s License
• Current Immunization Records
• Current PPD
• Must be willing to travel between NHC health centers.
• Must be willing to work evening hours and weekends if necessary.
Appearance Standards: This position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in the NHC Personnel Appearance Policy.