Position Summary: The Registered Dental Hygienist is responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventative services to dental patients of the health center. The Registered Dental Hygienist will also be responsible for providing appropriate oral health information to individuals and groups.
• Assists in the oral health management of health center patients.
• Obtains oral hygiene assessment data and records patient-hygienist transactions in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately reflects the nature of the contact and the care or treatment provided.
• Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for health center dental patients.
• Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application.
• Integration of appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other healthcare professionals involved in the patient’s health care management.
• Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law.
• Assists with maintenance and various clinical and administrative functions of Dental Department as appropriate and time permits.
• May be asked to perform other duties that align with NHC’s mission.
• Comprehensive knowledge of oral hygiene care in outpatient setting.
• Must be cognizant of the public health, social and economic factors which impact overall health and more specifically the oral health of their patients.
• Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges
• Skill in providing excellent customer service and support; organizing and prioritizing workload and meeting deadlines; and excellent written and verbal communication.
• Ability to interact effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds.
• Ability to work effectively with managers, co-workers, members of the public and professional groups.
• Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, concisely with others (internal and external customers, both verbally and in writing), consistently demonstrate positive/proactive customer service attitude. Consistently maintains ethical behaviors exemplary of quality public service and fair standards, inclusively, among all employees and members of the public.
• Ability to work as an effective team member; function independently, exercise sound judgment and initiative; be flexible to shift priorities; maintain confidentiality; establish and maintain effective interpersonal work relationships, effectively assist providers; work toward goals and objectives of draft priorities.
• Ability to follow NHC Clinic practice guidelines – including adhering to the NHC immunization policy and the NHC Mission and Vision and NHC Corporate Compliance Policy.
• Ability to receive constructive feedback including evaluation of provider’s productivity and practice attributes.
• Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to participation on clinical committees, providing education, Quality Review and/or other activities.
1. Ability to perform each position responsibility satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
duties of the position.
2. Ability to understand that safety is a condition of employment. Unsafe acts or conditions will be reported to the
supervisor or Site Coordinator.
3. Must be computer literate with ability to enter information in the NHC EHS system and compile reports or data
4. Must be able to read, write and speak English.
Education and/or Experience:
• Unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the State of North Dakota.
• Current CPR (BLS) required.
License and / or Certification:
• Valid ND Oral Hygiene License
• Current CPR certification required
• Valid North Dakota Driver’s License
• Current Immunization Records
• Current PPD
• Must be able to meet and maintain current NHC credentialing and privileging requirements.
Must be willing to travel between NHC health Must be willing to work evening hours and weekends if necessary.
Appearance Standards: This position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in the NHC Personnel Appearance Policy.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The employee may experience exposure to dust, pollens, pollutants, fumes, and communicable diseases as related to the health care environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.