Community Outreach Coordinator
Position Summary: The Community Outreach Coordinator (COC) will work within the integrated team to plan and implement programs to meet the social and emotional needs of patients and patients’ families. The COC collaborates with team members to coordinate patient care within Northland Health Centers (NHC) and with community agencies. The COC will work with patients at all NHC clinic sites and assist them in applying for various programs including the sliding fee discount program, as well as private and public health insurance programs. The COC may also be responsible in coordinating with other organizations in the community which assist the uninsured and underinsured populations. This position will promote awareness of the availability of health insurance through outreach activities and engage with the public at various events..
The following information is intended to be representative of the essential functions performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive.
1. Develop and maintain relationships with other social services agencies and community programs.
2. Communicate with providers, staff, and other agencies to coordinate patient care.
3. Examine patient needs to determine which social services are required.
4. Assist patients with connecting to the appropriate social service agencies.
5. Conduct outreach efforts on behalf of Northland Health Centers.
6. Navigate and apply financial requirements to patient situations.
7. Place follow-up calls to patients as necessary.
8. Complete paperwork with and on behalf of the patient as requested by the patient.
9. Coordinate with Certified Interpreters to meet patient needs.
10. Provide information and enrollment assistance to clients/patients in a fair, accurate and impartial manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate.
11. Assist clients in making their own informed selection from Marketplace health coverage options, never recommend which plan or option to select.
12. Develop a thorough understanding and working knowledge of all public and private health insurance programs that provide assistance to the uninsured and underinsured.
13. Assist individuals and families in applying for the Affordable Care Act Healthcare Marketplace and Medicaid when applicable.
14. Assist patients in applying for the NHC Sliding Fee Discount Program.
15. Track and report on use of the sliding fee schedule.
16. Assist individuals and families in applying for enabling services such as utility assistance, and track data regarding all programs.
17. Write reports and track data as needed or required.
18. Chart and scan paperwork into Electronic Medical Records system.
19. Participate in staff meetings and committees as appropriate or instructed.
20. Maintain confidentiality within the workplace and within the community.
21. Handle protected health information in a manner consistent with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
22. Adhere to the Mission and Values of NHC.
23. May be asked to perform other duties that align with NHC’s mission.
1. Excellent communication skills
2. Attention to detail
3. Computer knowledge
4. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
5. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
6. Ability to work independently and as a team member
7. Obtain Certified Application Counselor certification within 30 days of hire
8. Demonstrate and maintain expertise in the eligibility and enrollment rules and procedures of the Marketplace
1. Ability to understand that safety is a condition of employment. Unsafe acts or conditions will be reported to the supervisor or Site Coordinator.
2. Must be able to read, write and speak English.
Education and/or Experience:
• Associates degree preferred
• Minimum of 2 years of experience
License and / or Certification:
• Related State Licensure (ex: LSW)
• Valid North Dakota Driver’s License
• Current Immunization Records
• Current PPD
• Must be willing to travel between NHC health centers.
• Must be willing to work evening hours and weekends if necessary.
Appearance Standards: This position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in the NHC Personnel Appearance Policy.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The employee may experience exposure to dust, pollens, pollutants, fumes, and communicable diseases as related to the health care environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.