Certified Nursing Assistant
Position Summary: This position is responsible for the overall flow of patient care; assisting medical providers with patient care, scheduling, examinations, and performing miscellaneous reception and office duties in connection with referrals, appointments, ordering supplies, etc.
1. Patients are greeted and escorted to the examining room in a timely manner to accomplish good patient flow
2. History and chief complaint are obtained and accurately recorded on the patient chart
3. Vital signs, and test forms are properly obtained and recorded on the patient chart
4. Will assist providers with technical medical treatment/Rx such as minor surgery, casts, etc. Will have proper supplies and equipment prepared for the procedure and assist until completion
5. Will carry out orders regarding delegated diagnostic treatment, follow-up care, and patient education
6. Administers medications or vaccinations according to established guidelines
7. The charge sheet is accurately completed before patient leaves the clinic
8. Terminates patient care in a friendly and professional manner while escorting a patient to the front desk
Patient Scheduling and Patient Correspondence
1. Returns patient calls with provider’s order
2. Consulting provider appointments are coordinated and properly scheduled
Supply and Maintenance
- Maintains an adequate supply of nursing and medication stock, checked daily and ordered as needed
- Maintains medical/nursing supplies in each exam room
- Reports equipment repair needs as required to clinic provider/administrator
- Demonstrate respect and understanding of confidentiality for patients, staff, and others according to facility policy. Responsible for disclosure of health information as requested from various sources in accordance with the established HIPAA policies
- Maintain knowledge of computer operating systems
- Assist with reports to maintain federal funding as requested
- Participate in staff meetings, assigned committees, community events, and other meetings as instructed or deemed necessary. Demonstration of being a team leader in preventative care, quality assurance, and quality improvement processes. Works collaboratively with all other staff.
- Actively strives to educate the community on the mission and values of NHC in a positive approach to assist in the growth of the organization and assist our community in its healthcare needs
- Maintain CEUs in accordance with the North Dakota Board of Nursing Standards for licensure
- Skill in providing excellent customer service and support; organizing and prioritizing workload and meeting deadlines; and excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, education, racial, ethnic, and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively with managers, co-workers, members of the public and professional groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, concisely with others (internal and external customers, both verbally and in writing), consistently demonstrate positive/proactive customer service attitude. Consistently maintains ethical behaviors exemplary of quality public service and fair standards, inclusively, among all employees and members of the public.
- Ability to work as an effective team member; function independently, exercise sound judgment and initiative; be flexible to shift priorities; maintain confidentiality; establish and maintain effective interpersonal work relationships, effectively assist providers; work toward goals and objectives of draft priorities.
- Ability to follow NHC Clinic practice guidelines – including adhering to the NHC immunization policy and the NHC Mission and Vision and NHC Corporate Compliance Policy.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback including evaluation of provider’s productivity and practice attributes.
- Will participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition and transformation activities.
- May be asked to perform other duties that align with NHC’s mission, including but not limited to participation on clinical committees, providing education, Quality Review and/or other activities.
- Ability to perform each position responsibility satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to understand that safety is a condition of employment. Unsafe acts or conditions will be reported to the supervisor or Site Coordinator.
- Must be computer literate with ability to enter information in the NHC EHS system and compile reports or data as requested.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
Education and/or Experience:
• Medical Experience Preferred
License and/or Certification:
Current CNA Certification
Current CPR certification required
Valid North Dakota Driver’s License
Current Immunization Records
Current PPD / If not current, NHC will provide testing
Must be able to meet and maintain current NHC credentialing and privileging requirements
• Must be willing to travel between NHC health centers.
• Must be willing to work evening hours and weekends if necessary.
Appearance Standards: This position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in the NHC Personnel Appearance Policy.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The employee may experience exposure to dust, pollens, pollutants, fumes, and communicable diseases as related to the health care environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.